Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Jonathan Richman

"I'm going to cry when this man dies."

That was a quote from my brain as Jonathan Richman thanked the audience at the end of his live show -----a thank-you that proceeded with Richman gazing throughout the audience with  glassy eyes, starring at his faithful fans, taking it in before walking off stage.

I will always like Jonathan Richman. There are some certainties in life and this is one for me.

I first knowingly heard Richman last summer. While listening to KEXP online I heard Parties in the USA. I immediately fell in love with this song and thought about getting one his albums.  Then I got busy with life things and forgot about it.


A few months ago, I got word he was coming to the Metro, so I grabbed a few tickets, and really began to listen to some more songs and learn a little more about him.

I was blown away. Jonathan Richman is part of punk history---a big part. His work with the Modern Lovers in the early 70's is arguably the 'punk bridge' between The Velvet Underground and Television.  But Richman didn't want to put out ''Velvet Underground" records,  he wanted happier and lighter, so after a few years the original Modern Lovers broke up and Richman started, Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers.

His songs are heartbreakingly honest and innocent. The song Vincent Van Gogh, about the famous painter contains the chorus:
He loved he loved he loved life so bad,
His paintings had twice the color other paintings had.
So bad so bad that the world had to know,
The man loved color and he let it show.


I mean....who looks at Vincent Van Gogh with such new, innocent eyes? When I think of Van Gogh, I think of beautiful painter, ear, and probably a lot of crying. 




At the Metro, Richman played mostly new songs, but it didn't matter, they were great. As a friend/musician told me, Jonathan is a songwriter's songwriter. Every song was great, and with Richman, almost 60, spontaneously dancing as the crowd clapped-----it would have been hard to disengage yourself from the performance. Richman performs as if you are in a conversation with a really interesting guy, and he's telling you an awesome story that he's just dying to tell you.

Not sure what I mean? The song below, Everyday Clothes, is one of my favorite performances by Richman. This song and performance feature everything I love about him.
After you watch this,  you will understand why I'm going to cry when this man dies.


No comments:

Post a Comment